To print this article, all you need to do is be registered or log in to Mondaq.com.
Circular 21 introduces new domain names: id.vn, io.vn and ai.vn. The first is reserved for individuals and the second for individuals and organizations. When a domain name expires, it will be suspended immediately but may be renewed within 25 days.
On December 8, 2021, the Ministry of Information and Telecommunications of Vietnam issued Circular No. 21/2021/TT-BTTTT (Circular 21), which cancels and replaces Circular No. 06/2019/TT-BTTTT of July 19, 2019 amending and supplementing certain articles of Circular No. 24/2015/TT-BTTTT (Circular 24) regulating the management and use of Internet resources. In general, Circular 21 aims to complete the legal corridor in the development of national Internet resources in association with the objectives of socio-economic development and digital transformation in the coming period.
Circular 21 came into effect on February 7, 2022.
In this update, we have defined some notable points for your information.
1. New Second Level Domain Names and Registration Priority
Circular 32 adds the following three additional second-level domain names to the list of second-level domain names:
- id.vn allowing individuals to register the use of images, products and personal brands in the Internet environment;
- io.vn allowing individuals and organizations to register the use of digital technology applications, platforms and services in the Internet environment; and
- ai.vn allowing individuals and organizations to register their operations and services related to artificial intelligence in the Internet environment.
With the addition of these new second-level domain names, Circular 21 would create more domain names that fit with technology development and user-friendly trends. This would help expand the use of domain names in Vietnam.
In addition, Circular 21 favors the registration of certain domain names for certain subjects. In particular, .id.vn for applicants who are Vietnamese between the ages of 18 and 23, and .biz.vn for applicants who are newly established enterprises and commercial households are given priority for registration. This would promote start-up activities and develop the digital economy.
2. Reduced domain name lifecycle renewal time
Under Circular 24, if a .vn domain name expires, such domain name may:
- remains valid for five days after the expiry date, but after this period, the use of the domain name will be suspended (Suspension date);
- be renewed within 35 days of the date of suspension.
Circular 21 removes the five-day period during which the domain name remains valid upon expiration and reduces the late renewal period for domain names (for .vn and international domain names) from 35 days to 25 days at from the expiration date. Thus, a domain name will be suspended immediately upon expiration and may be renewed within 25 days of the expiration date in accordance with Circular 21.
3. Synchronization of regulations on the management of .vn and the international domain name
The regulations relating to the management of international domain names are harmonized with the regulations applied to .vn domain names under Circular 21. In particular, the regulations relating to the principles of registration and use and the procedures for suspension operation and revocation of domain names applied to international domain names domain names are now the same as those applied to .vn domain names.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide on the subject. Specialist advice should be sought regarding your particular situation.
POPULAR ARTICLES ON: Media, Telecom, IT, Vietnam Entertainment